Suicide prevention and awareness websites have many resources on risk factors, prevention, support, training, screening and assessment, and care options. Please visit these listed websites to review all information. For specific topics, review individual categories with direct links included. In a life-threatening situation, call 911 immediately.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – Interactive Screening Program: AFSP Interactive Screening Program, which connects individuals to mental health services before crises emerge.
- Ask Suicide-Screening Questions Screening Tool (ASQ): The ASQ Toolkit is a free resource for medical settings that can help successfully identify youth at risk for suicide. The ASQ is a set of four screening questions, designed for screening youth ages 10-24 (for patients with mental health chief complaints, consider screening below age 10). The ASQ is free of charge and available in multiple languages.
- CDC Violence Prevention – Suicide Prevention Risk and Protective Factors: List of risk protective factors and protective factors that may assist in suicide screening.
- ED-Safe Patient Secondary Screener (ESS-6): A secondary screening tool to help decide whether an individual who has screened positive on the PSS-3 requires additional care processes, such as safety precautions and a psychiatric evaluation.
- Patient Safety Screener (PSS-3): A tool for identifying people who may be at risk of suicide. The PSS-3 can be administered to all people not just those presenting with psychiatric issues.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center – Identify and Assist Persons at Risk: Screening efforts should never be standalone programs. They are more effective when conducted as part of a comprehensive and strategic plan that begins with an assessment of the local context and the resources available to address the suicide problem.
- Suicide Prevention Resources to Support Joint Commission Accredited Organizations - Validated/Evidence-Based Screening Tools: A Suicide Prevention Portal for organizations that includes information, resources, and tools regarding environmental risk assessment, validated/evidence based screening tools, validated/evidence based suicide risk assessment tools, safety planning upon discharge and suicide prevention recommendations.